What is COBIT?
COBIT is an IT management framework developed by ISACA to help organizations develop, organize, and implement strategies related to information management and governance.
- COBIT: (Control Objectives for Information and Related Technologies), first published in 1996, was originally developed as a set of IT control objectives to help the auditing community better manage the growth of IT environments.
- COBIT 2: In 1998, ISACA released version 2, which extended the framework to apply outside of the auditing community.
- COBIT 3: Later, in the 2000s, ISACA developed version 3, which introduced the IT management and information governance techniques found in the framework today.
- COBIT 4: Released in 2005, followed by COBIT 4.1 in 2007. These updates provided more information on governance around information and communication technology
- COBIT 5: In 2012, COBIT 5 was released, and in 2013, ISACA released an add-on to COBIT 5 that provided more information for organizations on risk management and information governance.
- COBIT 2019: ISACA again announced an updated version of COBIT in 2018, dropping the version number and simply calling the latest version COBIT 2019. This updated version of COBIT is designed to continually evolve with "more frequent and smoother updates" according to ISACA. COBIT 2019 was introduced to develop governance strategies that are more flexible, collaborative and address new and changing technologies.
What is the purpose of COBIT?
The purpose of the COBIT Framework is primarily to help organizations align their business goals with their IT goals by bridging the gap between IT teams and other departments, with a particular focus on risk management and security.
In the latest version released in 2018, ISACA emphasized that COBIT is not a framework for organizing business processes, making IT decisions, or figuring out the right IT architecture. Instead, its specific purpose is to serve as a framework for organizations to support their IT governance and management across the enterprise.
What are the advantages of COBIT certification?
COBIT is an IT management framework created to enable organizations to improve the value they derive from all their IT processes while managing risk. COBIT is specifically designed to control all enterprise IT assets and reduce risk.
The IT landscape has changed significantly in the last ten years. There is a greater need than ever to secure company assets and manage risk. This in turn makes governance a necessity for companies. Since 2012, when COBIT 5 was released, there have been more threats and concerns that every organization needed to address. This is exactly why COBIT 2019 was created a little later, so that organizations have a framework to which they can adapt.
COBIT 2019 is an evolved version of COBIT 5. It uses the same foundation and adds features and services to manage various developments that may affect an organization's IT sector. Over time, COBIT has continued to help organizations improve their performance through the management of their data, information and technology. The COBIT Framework has many advantages and is a must for every company.
What is COBIT 5?
COBIT 5 is a framework and organizational structure that enables IT teams to increase business productivity. The framework helps organizations create cybersecurity-focused processes that scale across the enterprise. It can also help organizations meet their deadlines on time and bridge IT and business strategies while successfully managing risk.
The management processes that are delivered with the framework are consistent with all activities of the company, including all input and output processes of other key objectives, maturity models, key performance indicators and more. This helps increase the value a company gets from its IT department.
What is COBIT 2019?
COBIT 2019 can be seen as an update to COBIT 5. It uses the same foundation as COBIT 5 along with different and new developments that organizations need today. COBIT 2019 also offers various insights, guidelines and other training certifications to help companies grow even further.
Also, COBIT 2019 provides organizations with a flexible framework that can be implemented to solve either a specific problem or an adoption across the enterprise.
What is the difference between COBIT 5 and COBIT 2019?
While COBIT 5 consists of five main principle systems, the current version contains an additional principle system, so COBIT 2019 contains six principles for the governance framework.
The main principle systems of COBIT 5 are:
- Meeting stakeholder needs
- End-to-end coverage of the company
- Application of a single integrated framework
- A holistic approach is made possible
- Clear separation of governance and management
The main principle systems of COBIT 2019 are:
- A high stakeholder value
- Holistic approach
- Dynamic governance system
- The distinction between governance and management
- Precisely tailored to the requirements of companies
- End-to-end coverage of the governance system
What new features does COBIT 2019 bring?
- Improve focus reports and design factors: Allowing organizations to easily establish risk management practices and place other governance protocols based on individual requirements.
- COBIT 2019 is consistent: With various global risk management standards, security standards, other universal frameworks, and most protocols, among others.
- Prescriptive approach: Compared to COBIT 5, the guidelines for COBIT 2019 support more integrations related to governance and risk management.
- COBIT 2019 is an open-source model: this model takes feedback and incorporates future updates with the framework. These updates are checked for consistency and quality by the Steering Committee.
- Stronger focus on newer technologies and methods: Among other things, such as various DevOps and Agile concepts. Updated operational practices taking place in IT-enabled organizations such as cloud-based systems and outsourcing are also considered here.
How to get a COBIT certification
ISACA offers COBIT certifications for information security, cloud computing, and other IT professionals. These include COBIT Foundation, COBIT Design and Implementation, and COBIT 5 certificates.
Who can get a COBIT certification?
The following are some of the IT job roles that would best benefit from the COBIT Foundation certificate program:
- Senior managers
- Chief Executive Officer
- IT manager
- Insurance provider
- Risk management
- GRC manager
- Solution architect
- Program manager
- Security and Compliance Advisor
THE COBIT 5 CERTIFICATIONS
COBIT 5 Assessor:
The COBIT 5 Assessor Training provides methods to guide implementation activities and is supported by several case studies. Here you will learn how to conduct a process assessment and how to analyze the results to enable a clear determination of process capability. You'll also learn how these results can be used for process improvement, measuring the achievement of current or projected business goals, benchmarking, consistent reporting, and organizational compliance that ultimately add value to the organization.
This certification scheme from ISACA demonstrates that certified individual has experience and skills that make them valuable asset to any organization. Because the COBIT 5 Assessor certification training provides a basic understanding to evaluate the process capabilities of the company using the COBIT 5 Process Assessment Model (PAM).
COBIT 5 Foundation C Certification:
Earning the COBIT 5 Foundation-level certification demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of the COBIT 5 guidelines, principles, and models. This certification explains the elements and supporting materials of the COBIT framework and uses a logical and example-driven approach for anyone interested in acquiring basic COBIT knowledge. COBIT 5 Foundation is the first step and a prerequisite for enrollment in Advanced Level Certification.
At the end of this certification you will have a wide range of knowledge about:
- Central challenges when using IT
- IT governance concepts and benefits
- COBIT 5 Framework, Principles, and Enablers
- Implementation approach for using COBIT 5
- COBIT 5 Process Reference Model
- Structure of the COBIT 5 Process Reference Model
- Governance and management process domains
- Components of COBIT 5 processes
COBIT 5 implementation certification:
The COBIT 5 Implementation certification is one of the practice-level certifications offered by ISACA. In the COBIT 5 implementation path, you will learn ISACA's methodology for implementing IT governance and creating a governance system based on the implementation lifecycle, its phases, as well as challenges, best practices, and supporting tasks.
Professionals who hold the COBIT 5 Implementation Certification are well versed in the approach of applying Governance of Enterprise Information Technology. COBIT 5 implementation certification holders adapt the COBIT framework to the needs of the organization.
Possessing such skills helps COBIT 5 certified professionals gain recognition from organizations operating in the IT sector. In turn, organizations that rely on hiring professionals certified with COBIT 5 Implementation benefit from reduced business risk and improved performance. A mandatory requirement for participating in this module is passing the COBIT 5 Foundation Level certification.
What does this module teach me?
The COBIT 5 Implementation Certification provides candidates with a practical understanding of how COBIT 5 can be implemented, applied, and integrated within an organization to reduce business risk and improve business performance.
At the end of this certification you will have the following diverse skills such as:
- Effective analysis of IT operations in the company.
- Get to the root of problem areas and implement changes through scope and plan.
- Evaluate and troubleshoot current process capabilities.
- Implement the latest best practices to avoid future risks and delays in process capability.
Implementation of the NIST Cybersecurity Framework with COBIT 5:
This module focuses on the Cybersecurity Framework (CSF), its objectives, the implementation steps, and the ability to apply this information. The course and exam are intended for individuals who have a basic understanding of COBIT 5 and security concepts and are involved in improving the cybersecurity program for their organizations.
At the end of this certification you will have the following diverse skills such as:
- Acknowledging the goals of the Cybersecurity Framework (CSF)
- Understanding and discussing the content of NVC and what it means to align with it
- The ability to understand each of the seven CSF implementation steps
- Applying and evaluating the implementation steps with COBIT
THE COBIT 2019 CERTIFICATIONS
COBIT 2019 Foundation:
COBIT 2019 builds on and integrates more than 25 years of development in this field, not only incorporating new knowledge from the science but also operationalizing it as practice. The COBIT core model outlines 40 governance/management objectives linked to processes. The corporate goals are also defined in the publication. As with its predecessors, COBIT also focuses on developing and improving processes that enable the company to achieve its goals.
In addition, the Performance-Management-System will be updated, allowing for the flexibility to use both maturity measurements and capability measurements. This module describes the overall framework and presents design factors and focus areas for practical guidance.
Advantages of the COBIT 2019 Foundation certification:
- Managing performance with COBIT 2019
- Remove a bespoke governance system
- Understand and use the COBIT 2019 target cascade
- Implement COBIT 2019 with a seven-step model
COBIT 2019 Design and Implementation Certification:
This design and implementation course is intended for more experienced COBIT users interested in more advanced uses of the framework, such as designing governance systems and conducting governance improvement programs.
Who should take this certification?
- Stakeholders responsible for the design and implementation of enterprise governance systems
- Holder of the COBIT Foundation certification
- Chief Executive Officer
- Business managers
- IT/IS auditor
- Internal revision
- Information security and IT practitioner
- Consultants and IT/IS managers who need insight into the practical implementation of enterprise IT governance and management
Implementation of the NIST Cybersecurity Framework with COBIT 2019 certification:
Originally designed to support critical infrastructure providers, this module continues to evolve based on continuous feedback from various stakeholders and use cases.
Today, the CSF is a useful guide to help any organization manage its cyber risk. Because many companies lack an approach that integrates cybersecurity standards and Enterprise Governance of I&T (EGIT) to establish systematic yet flexible and achievable governance and management goals, processes, and capability levels to make measured improvements towards cybersecurity goals.
Who is this module for?
- This module focuses on the NIST CSF, its goals, implementation steps, and the ability to apply this information in an organization's environment.
- Also, the course and exam are designed for individuals who have a basic understanding of both COBIT 2019 and security concepts and are involved in improving and/or building the cybersecurity program for their organizations.
Advantages of the COBIT certification at a glance:
- Higher Salary: With this prestigious qualification, those certified earn higher salary packages compared to non-certified professionals in the field.
- Individual Achievements: Certified individuals can seek higher career prospects early in their lives with the most prestigious certification.
- Gain credibility: Owning the certification makes it easier to gain the trust and respect of professionals working in the same field.
- Diverse Job Roles: Achieving certification strengthens the individual's spirit to pursue diverse job roles in the organization.
- Advanced Skills: With this certification, individuals acquire refined skills and techniques necessary to play their role in an organization
Conclusion: What does a COBIT certification bring me?
COBIT not only guides in building an effective system of governance but also helps business leaders achieve the goals of effective IT governance. The COBIT Framework provides a logical, example-based framework to help you understand the latest thinking on EGIT. If you are looking for certification, check out our Academy page, we offer excellent training and courses for a variety of certifications. Because we are an accredited training center in Switzerland that offers both on-site and online courses.
Accreditation is important to ensure the quality of education as it proves to prospective employers and students that you have the right skills and qualifications to complete the course. Accreditation also assures you that you're not wasting time and money on courses that don't prepare you for the job market.
Interested in more info? You can see the comparison of COBIT to other frameworks here: IT certifications in comparison: ITIL vs. COBIT vs. TOGAF vs. AWS